Advertisement

1 Injured in Gas Explosion at N.Y. Home That Family Was Moving into Hours Prior: 'It's Crazy'

Nine people were reportedly inside the home on Saturday night when the explosion occurred

  • Nine people were reportedly inside a New York home on Saturday when an explosion occurred that blew out the building's windows and doors

  • One person was hospitalized after sustaining serious burns when the explosion occurred

  • The home will reportedly be torn down following the incident

A New York family has been displaced after an explosion occurred at their new rental home just hours after they began moving in.

Nine people were inside the home on Emily Street in Monticello around 11 p.m. local time on Saturday when the explosion occurred, according to the Times Union and NBC affiliate WNBC-TV.

Monticello Fire Department Assistant Chief Jon Wells said a gas line inside the house “had started leaking” and “filled the basement up with gas” before the explosion, WNBC-TV and CBS affiliate WCBS-TV reported.

"We got people to rent out the place, and then it blew up. It's crazy,” said Ariel Kahn, whose family owns the rental property.

Related: Michigan House Explosion Kills 4, Injures 2 Others

One man, who was in the basement at the time of the explosion, was rushed by ambulance to Garnet Medical Center in Middletown with severe burns, according to the Times Union.

The eight other people in the home were uninjured, as were two pets who also escaped, according to the reports.

Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE's free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.

“I was laying down and all of a sudden the whole house went 'boom' and shook,” said Harold Ronk, per WNBC-TV and WCBS-TV.

Related: Firefighter Dead and 13 Other People Injured After Home Explodes with Crew Inside

Ronk said he and his family are unable to retrieve the items that they had moved into the home just hours before the explosion occurred, according to WNBC-TV. Many of the items are reportedly blocked in by collapsed walls and ceilings.

Windows and doors were blown out of the building during the explosion, WCBS-TV and the Times Union reported. The basement foundation also appeared to crack.

Related: 19-Year-Old Dies After Being Struck by Flying Debris from Industrial Explosion in Michigan

Investigators believe the home’s propane heating system may have been at root of the explosion, according to WCBS-TV. The home has been condemned and will likely be torn down soon.

The Red Cross is reportedly assisting the family who lost their home.

For more People news, make sure to sign up for our newsletter!

Read the original article on People.