Up to five A-League clubs are believed to be interested in luring football superstar David Beckham to Australia, but the man himself says he’s not keen on the idea.
Reports emerged on Friday that Beckham's management had been approached in a bid to bring the former England captain to the A-League, most likely for a 10-game guest stint in the coming months.
New Football Federation Australia boss David Gallop confirmed on Friday night that discussions had begun with one of Beckham’s representatives.
That led to several A-League clubs publically putting their hat in the ring for the 37-year-old, with Fairfax reporting on Monday that one unidentified club had already made an offer.
Perth Glory’s millionaire owner Tony Sage has been bullish about luring Beckham to Western Australia, saying it would be a one of his greatest personal achievements.
"We are seriously looking at it," Sage said.
"We are getting indications from (player agent) Lou Sticca and asking him the right questions. He is doing most of the work. We understand Beckham's management is looking at various leagues and the A-League is one of them, but there is genuine interest."
Melbourne Heart and Adelaide United also publically expressed their interest in Beckham over the weekend.
It is understood Western Sydney Wanderers are another club in the mix.
But as clubs scrambled to launch their bids over the weekend, the man himself poured cold water on the idea.
"Yeah (LA Galaxy coach Bruce Arena) told me that this morning," Beckham said when asked about the rumours.
"That's the first I've heard of that, this morning. But no, definitely not true."Despite those comments, Gallop says there is no reason for the A-League to be disheartened, with Beckham's representatives likely to be shopping him around without his knowledge."It was a similar situation with (Alessandro) Del Piero, and we all know that came to be," Gallop said."So let's just see how this plays out. It's an exciting proposition - no one would deny that."Central Coast Mariners have also been sending mixed messages in regards to Beckham.While Mariners chairman Peter Turnbull ruled the club out of the running, businessman John Singleton threw his financial weight behind any bid to lure Beckham to the Central Coast.Mariners director of football Lawrie McKinna said the club would "have a go" in signing Beckham."David Beckham would put the Central Coast on the world stage," he told News Ltd."We can't do it on our own and we need help from Singo, FFA, and Gosford and Wyong councils to put a package together."Singo is passionate about anything that's going to help the Central Coast."There's a long way to go but we're going to be in there having a go."Brisbane Roar and Melbourne Victory have ruled themselves out of the running for Beckham, while coach-less Sydney FC and financially-troubled Newcastle Jets are unlikely destinations.