Australian leg spinning legend Shane Warne sees no place for incumbent opening batsman Ed Cowan in his best Australian 18 Test players, but believes the national selectors should put their faith in untried Western Australian paceman Nathan Coulter-Nile in all three forms of the game.
Writing on his website in the second instalment of his 'manifesto' for re-invigorating the game as well as the national team, Warne selected his best Australian squads for T20s, ODIs and Tests.
While the suggested selection of Coulter-Nile in T20 and ODI cricket is not that surprising, despite having never played international cricket, Warne believes the 25-year-old should also be given a shot at Test cricket.
Warne named an 18-man Test squad - despite the fact he said it was 17 - with veteran Queenslander Ryan Harris, who has not played first class cricket in 10 months, named among the pace attack at the expense of Ben Hilfenhaus.
Cowan, who has played all 13 Tests since being selected as an opener at the start of the home series against India in 2011/12, is the notable absentee.
Warne has also only selected one specialist spinner, Nathan Lyon, while there are no specialist leg-spinners named among any of the three teams that Warne nominated.
Warne repeated his opposition to the rotation policy currently in place, saying Australia needed to pick their best XI in each form of the game.
"When we were number 1 there weren't mission statements flying around, but we got the selection process right and the best 11 were selected for every game," he said.
"It's simple, select your best 11 for each form of the game, not the same 11 but your best available team at all times."
He also suggested scrapping field restrictions for one-day cricket and increasing the over allowance for bowlers in Twenty20 cricket to five as opposed to four.
Another instalment of Warne's manifesto is expected later in the week.Shane Warne's Test Squad
1. Warner, 2. Watson 3. Marsh S, 4. Clarke (C), 5. Ferguson, 6. Wade, 7. Faulkner, 8. Coulter-Nile, 9. Siddle, 10. Pattinson, 11. Lyon
12. Hughes P, 13. Maxwell, 14. Starc, 15. Khawaja, 16. Harris R, 17. Henriques, 18. Jackson BirdShane Warne's ODI Squad
1. Finch, 2. Warner, 3. Marsh S, 4. Clarke (C), 5. Bailey, 6. Wade, 7. Maxwell (Floater), 8. Faulkner, 9. Coulter-Nile, 10. Starc, 11. McKay
12. Hauritz, 13. Henriques, 14. Marsh M, 15. M JohnsonShane Warne Twenty20 Squad
1. Finch, 2. Warner, 3. Marsh S, 4. Watson, 5. Maxwell, 6. Wade (C), 7. Faulkner, 8. Coulter-Nile, 9. Starc, 10. McKay, 11. Doherty12. Beer, 13. Cutting, 14. Henriques or M Marsh when fit, 15. M Johnson